What is Patent Agent Exam ?
Patent Agent exam is conducted by India Patent Office (IPO). This exam needs complete knowledge of Indian Patent Acts, patent drafting skills and interpretation abilities etc. Exam is conducted at Mumbai, Delhi, Nagpur, Chennai and Kolkata.
The qualifiers of this exam become legally certified(i.e. through a unique Patent Agent Number) by the Indian Patent Office to help corporates, institutions or individuals in filing their innovations and charge them as per their services.
Who is a Patent Agent?
A Patent Agent is an individual who is registered for practicing before an Indian patent office. He provides assistance with the patent application process to inventors who are interested in obtaining a patent for an invention. To become patent agent one has to qualify Indian Patent agent exam.
The qualifying examination shall consist of the following papers and marks, namely: –
Paper 1 – Patent Act and Rules-100 marks,
Paper 2 – Drafting and interpretation of Patent specification and other documents -100 marks
After qualifying both the examination Paper 1 and Paper 2 there will be a Viva-Voce of 50 marks which is usually based on domain knowledge of science and IPR
Total 250 Marks
Eligibility Criteria ?
For becoming a registered patent agent in India,
1. a person with a graduation in science, technology or engineering from any university established under Indian Law or other equivalent qualification as prescribed by the Government; and
2. a citizen of India;
3. He/She must have completed 21 yrs. of age at the time of exam;
4. Final year candidates are also eligible on producing the mark sheets, final degree etc. within two months from Patent agent exam declaration result which they are appearing for.
Exam Dates of Patent Agent Examination 2022
The Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks invites online application from eligible candidates under Section 126 of the Patents Act, 1970, willing to appear in Patent Agent Examination-2020(2022) which is likely to be held on 08/05/2022
Online registration of candidates shall start from 22/11/2021 (02:00 PM)
Last date for registration is 27/12/2021 (05:30PM)
Career Opportunities ?
- Patent Agents can file International Patent Application (PCT) on behalf of Indian Applicants
- You can work as a Freelancer in Patent Specification Drafting for Indian & Foreign IP law Firms.
- You can start your own IP law firms and IP consultancy services.
- You can join as academician in institutes teaching Patent Law.
- Students pursuing their education in different branches may not get placements due to less vacancies can easily opt for this Patent Agent exam as a better option to get placed in the IPR consultancy related companies, Law firms and in R & D departments of any company.
- As all Patent Drafting related work related to a particular Science & Technology Field so It’s a better option to remain connected to their domain.
For more information about how to apply for exam : https://youtu.be/qjk80XB3oek